Friday, May 14, 2010

Less than a week before my FB gets whacked

In less than I week, if all goes well, I'll be deleting my Facebook page.  Why wait?  First, I want to make sure I have contact information for the people I need to keep in touch with.  Second, I'm in Europe right now and I have some sort of weird feeling that if I'm at home, I'll be able to fix something if it goes wrong.  Not sure what that's all about, but anyhoo. . .

I've told people over and over that the people behind Facebook are not concerned with your privacy and you should basically consider EVERYTHING to be public as if it were plastered on a billboard over your house, no matter what your privacy settings are. 

For example, those pictures of you drinking underage?  Do you want a future employer to see those?  Companies admit that they do simple Google/Facebook/Myspace searches for your name to look for stuff like that before hiring people.  Even if it was many years ago, consider yourself to be pre-judged!

If you are simply staying with Facebook because you are addicted to Farmville or another Zynga game, you may be in luck.  Zynga makes a ton of money off of people like you and Facebook is levying a huge tax on them.  Zynga currently pays about 33% and FB says that they need to pay closer to 50%.  Technically, Zynga can afford it, but the smaller game developers can not.

Facebook is the AOL of the decade.  They both run/ran a "walled garden" trying to keep people inside of their network.  Eventually, people figured out that the Internet was a lot more interesting without AOL's private network, hopefully Facebook will suffer the same fate.  Am I bitter?  Maybe a little.  There is a need for social sites like FB, but not at the expense of privacy.

4 comments:

SelenitaBR said...

Totally agree with you, Chris :-) I myself deleted all my private info there (I'm still thinking 'bout what to do with my private albums though...) Then I think it'll be OK to keep the account. But all the changes they do every day get on my nerves... I'm happy we have other ways to keep in touch! :-)

Unknown said...

All of the photos that I've uploaded to Facebook are archived elsewhere. I had a feeling that things were going to go bad with Facebook and I wanted to be able to leave the site whenever I wanted.

Vivian said...

Oh my gosh, the mention of AOL brings back so many memories! I was one of those that thought there was nothing better than AOL then I ventured "out," haha! I cancelled my FB account twice :-P I kept going back to it but now I am permanently off of it yay!

Unknown said...

Good for you Vivian. I have a feeling that it's going to be a little tough keeping away, but at least I never got addicted to Farmville. That makes things a lot easier.