Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Trojan in fake monster.com e-mail

The other day I received an e-mail that looked and "acted" like it was from monster.com. In the e-mail it said that to keep access to my account after Dec. 18th, I had to download a program. A few years ago, it might have seemed like a legitimate thing for a company to create a stand-alone application to provide their customers with the latest data and a wide range of features.

It didn't take very much for me to realize that this was probably a phishing e-mail. After all, I'm a web developer and I know first-hand that anything that monster.com would have someone do with a stand-alone app could easily be achieved in a web browser. Not to mention that the application they wanted me to download wasn't being hosted at monster.com, it was something like "resume-monster.com".

I contacted monster's tech support via a live chat session (with someone in India, of course) and he/she confirmed that it was truly a phishing e-mail. More than likely, the app was created by some jerk that would get people to install it and it would (most-likely) capture log in information, credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc.

I hope the creator of the e-mail gets a big boil on the head of his tiny manhood.

No comments: